The world around us changes overnight in our teens. It is important for us to play safely. Know it well before taking your first step forward. Teen pregnancy increases when girls are denied the right to make decisions about their health and their sexual and reproductive health. Girls need to be able to make decisions about their bodies and the future and to be able to access appropriate health and education services. Because young people in other developed lands are getting rich sex education and more access to contraception and family planning services, they have more low rates of pregnancy and abortion. For example, in the Netherlands, where teen sex is almost identical as in the U.S., pregnancy rates are only nine times higher than those in the United States.
It is important that you have enough information about all the options before making a decision. Unfortunately, many young people delay seeking advice during pregnancy, perhaps hoping that it will not be true. For those who choose to continue their pregnancy this delay could mean missing out on important maternity care. But it is important that you get a right treatment. Adolescents have higher rates of complications in pregnancy and childbirth, and are at greater risk for postpartum depression. It is also important to eat well and stop drinking and smoking during your pregnancy. Talk to a doctor who can discuss your pregnancy with great confidence.
If you choose to terminate (abortion), a delay in confirming the pregnancy may affect the type of termination available. For example, medical termination, or taking a contraceptive pill, is only done with a pregnancy less than 9 weeks).
Physical Risks of Adolescent Abortion
- Young abortion patients are twice as likely to experience cervical dislocation during abortion compared to older women because adolescents have smaller cervical organs
- Bleeding and panic
- Adolescents are also at greater risk of post-abortion infections such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and endometritis (inflammation of the uterus)
- Adolescents are more susceptible to infections because they do not produce infections found in the cervix of older women which protects them from infection.
- They are at high risk of infertility, ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy) and other serious problems such as premature birth, stillbirth and frequent abortions.
Psychological and emotional consequences
- Deterioration of autonomy.
- Sleep, lust and sexual dysfunction.
- Decreased motivation.
- Disruption in human relationships.
- Guilt and over-anxiety.
- Depression and suicidal tendencies.
- Drug abuse.
How do you keep yourself safe and protect teen pregnancy and abortion?
Abstinence is the most effective way to prevent a miscarriage. Only you, as the parent can decide for yourself what is right and what is wrong. There are many ways to feel close to someone without sex and there is no need to rush. You get to set your boundaries – physically and emotionally. If you are thinking about having sex, start with information. Learn how to protect yourself from STDs and unplanned pregnancies. Information can help you gain confidence.
Healthy relationships have a few things in common: communication, respect and trust. In healthy relationships, people spend time together, but they make their own decisions and have their own lives as well. If your relationship is healthy, you can talk about any problem whether it is bad or difficult. Talk about your limitations when it comes to sex, whether you are ready or not, discuss birth control methods and STD tests. It is all about listening to the other person and respecting their opinion.
The teen should consult a trusted professional
No matter what abortion procedure you take, your first step is to confirm your pregnancy. If you have not yet received an ultrasound, it will be necessary before proceeding with the procedure, to show how far you are and what abortion procedure you will need. It is also important to diagnose and treat STDs (STIs) before there is an invasive procedure; STDs can be transmitted through your cervix (which opens with any abortion) into your uterus.
Free and confidential pregnancy tests, ultrasound and STD tests and treatments, contact Step One, a trusted pregnancy medical center. In the United States, children have the right to have an abortion without the consent of their parents unless otherwise provided by law. Medical abortion is not successful, it requires a surgical procedure to complete the abortion.
Psoriasis may be a disease of the skin that causes thick, itchy patches of red skin and silvery scaling. The leading two layers of the skin are called the epidermis and dermis. New cells at rock bottom of the epidermis constantly move up and replace the older cells above them. Normally, it takes one month for cells to form this journey. In psoriasis, cells reach the skin surface in just six to eight days. This particularly happens due to a poor immune system. However, it is extremely common in fair skin people and adults.
How does it happen?
Scientists think that your immune system mistakes certain natural substances in your skin as foreign invaders. This causes your immune system to perform a counterattack called an inflammatory response. Inflammation stands as a series of changes that occur in your skin. This will eventually include enlarged blood vessels along with the growth of more blood vessels. In addition, the growth of more immune cells in the area. This helps in forming groups and faster creation of new skin cells. Over time, this becomes a cycle. Likewise, damaged skin cells signal more immune cells to join the area. Eventually, this allows the skin cells to multiply rapidly and your skin gets thicker. Thus, this results in raised, itchy, and inflamed areas called plaques on the skin. Scientists also think that the chances of your having psoriasis can be passed from your family. It can pass through parts of your DNA through genes. If you are passed with it from your family then there are certain triggers that you should take care of:
- Skin injuries such as big bites.
- Dry skin or dry weather.
- Infections particularly- strep throat or skin infections.
- Drinking alcohol.
- Certain medications.
Types of psoriasis
There are five major types of psoriasis:
- Plaque psoriasis – It is the most common psoriasis. It appears in raised red patches along with a silvery-white buildup of dead skin cells. This appears common in the scalp, elbows, knees, and lower backs. They are often itchy and painful. Again, if they get cracked, they can bleed.
- Guttate psoriasis- A guttate psoriasis is a form of psoriasis that appears as small dot-like lesions. We can often see it in some children or young adults. This can further stand triggered by a strep infection. About 10% of psoriasis-affected people have guttate psoriasis.
- Inverse psoriasis- This comes out as extremely red lesions in body folds. Particularly, behind the knee, under the arm, or in the groin. Besides, it may appear smooth and shiny.
- Pustular psoriasis- It stands characterized by white pustules or blisters of non-infectious pus. Moreover, it stands surrounded by red skin. It has the tendency to occur in any part of the body. But occurs often on the hands or feet.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis- This is a severe form of psoriasis that directs to extensive fiery redness that spreads all over most of the body parts. It can particularly cause severe itching and pain.
- One or more raised red skin patches with silver scales on your scalp, elbows, knees, low backs, or buttocks.
- One may also notice skin patches that might occur on your eyebrows, armpits, belly, around the anus, or between your buttocks.
- The patches may itch or hurt.
- Some people with psoriasis may also face other symptoms such as swollen, painful joints or pus-filled blisters.
- Sometimes your fingernails might misshapen, thick, and pitted.
When to see a doctor?
It is always safe to see a doctor when you suspect you have psoriasis on any part of your body. Also, consult a doctor immediately if your psoriasis evolves severely or is widespread. Again, when it causes you discomfort, pain, change in the skin, joint problems. Particularly, when it does not improve with normal treatments. Doctors can usually tell you if you have psoriasis by looking at your skin patches. If still there remains any confusion the doctor will ask you for certain tests. They will take a sample of your skin and look at the microscope. This is known as a biopsy. The treatments will include medicines to put on your skin. Again, phototherapy where UV light will shine on your skin to heal. Furthermore, pills or shots are also used to treat psoriasis. Some of the medicines can possess side effects. So, they are only used to treat severe cases.
In these uncertain times when the world is battling with the covid-19 pandemic, it is quite natural that our lifestyle and habits took a turn for the worse. Therefore our overall health practices are no longer a consistent part of our lifestyle. We no longer take part in physical movement and our eating habits are just as bad enough. But among all this chaos the most overlooked part of our health is our heart. According to WHO an estimated 17 million people died from Cardiovascular Diseases in 2019 and 85% of those deaths were due to cardiac arrest and stroke. Moreover, most of the deaths related to cardiac arrest can be prevented by addressing behavioral risk factors. Also, these habits take you closer to cardiac arrests among many other related complications.
So what is cardiac arrest?
According to heart.org, cardiac arrest is defined as the abrupt loss of heart function in a person who may or may not have any prior heart condition. While a heart attack is the stoppage of blood flow in the arteries of the heart resulting in the death of heart muscle tissue, on the other hand, cardiac arrest is due to the malfunction of the heart-pumping mechanism resulting in the arrested heartbeats and eventually death. Common signs include loss of consciousness along with irregular or absent breathing. Before entering cardiac arrest, individuals may also experience chest pain or nausea.
Habits that are taking you closer to cardiac arrest
1. You are an active smoker
If you want to reduce your risk of cardiac arrest to a great extent, it is essential to avoid smoke in any way, shape, or form. Smoking tobacco damages the heart and blood vessels and can raise your blood pressure that consequently leads to the malfunction of the heart muscle. That said it is tough to quit smoking or change your lifestyle to avoid second-hand smoke, so do not be afraid to ask for support and try a variety of approaches until you find the right fit.
2. You indulge in heavy alcohol consumption.
The risk of heart attack is increased due to the heavy consumption of alcohol because it leads to an increase in blood pressure. That said, you do not have to quit alcohol completely to keep your heart healthy, but it is smart to cut back to the recommended maximum of two drinks a day for men and one drink per day for women.
3. You do not have a proper diet.
You might not like to spend much time looking at your plate. But overlooking your nutritional needs and food consumption habits will have a great consequence. Food does not need to be boring to provide you with all the nutrition. A balanced diet that has delicious foods like olive oil, fish, lean protein, nuts, fruit, and whole grains can satisfy those taste buds and also can keep your bad cholesterol in check which will lead to a healthy heart. These types of food also help in keeping your heart healthy, thanks to the good fats, fiber, and nutrients. Plus, all these types of food are readily available across all stores.
4. You do not exercise much.
Physical activity is one of the greatest things that can help you cut down your weight, tone out those muscles, and most importantly prevent you from having chronic heart conditions. If you spend all your time sitting around, chances are that you have already damaged your health in certain ways. Any type of physical activity is better than none. You do not need fancy equipment and fitness instructors to start your health journey. Start by taking long walks, stretching, or doing some jumping jacks, which does not need any technique and anyone would be able to accomplish.
5. You skip the annual health check-ups.
Healthcare specialists always suggest undergoing a complete medical checkup every year. Skipping health checkups might keep you in the dark about your health stats on cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar, which can eventually lead to sudden bouts of cardiac arrest.
Be consistent with your choice
Everything being said, Rome was not built in a day, in other words, lifestyle changes are not something that can be implemented in our life suddenly. Practice makes perfect and therefore you need to be mindful about your practices to add these changes slowly but regularly. Whether your goal is to quit alcohol or to start a healthy diet, try to implement a single habit at a time. Trying everything at once will lead to confusion and demotivation. Moreover, becoming more curious on the health front will make you accountable for your unhealthy habits. It ensures that you are well prepared for any emergencies that might need medical attention. Also, try to encourage others to keep a tab on their health. This will motivate you to continue yours and leads to the overall betterment of the community.
In short, try to keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to live a happy and healthy life. This is possible by keeping aside the bad habits and being responsible about our daily choices.
ECT is the abbreviation for Electroconvulsive therapy. It refers to a laboratory procedure in which the patient is given small electric current shocks to cause variation in brain and brain products. Electrodes help in supplying the electric current to the scalp of the patient to induce seizures. ECT helps in treating people suffering from severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, major depression, or bipolar disorder. Moreover, it must be noted that Electroconvulsive therapy is not a routine procedure. When other therapies such as psychotherapy, behavioral therapy, medications, etc. prove ineffective, doctors recommend ECT.
Reasons and uses of electroconvulsive therapy
ECT helps in treating patients with severe depression/ major depressive disorder. Depression refers to a mental condition in which one’s mood is affected severely. In addition, it is accompanied by loss of appetite, mood swings, feelings of sadness, and lack of interest in activities. Particularly, when this condition occurs with psychosis, desire to starve, suicidal thoughts, or actions, ECT is used.
Mania is a distinct episode occurring in people with bipolar disorder. It causes abnormal heart rate, an exaggerated sense of self-confidence, racing thoughts, affects the sleeping cycle, reduces concentration, and hampers the patient’s ability to make decisions. In addition, mania causes psychosis, substance abuse, and suicidal thoughts. So, electric current helps in changing the brain activity to control the behavior of the patient.
Catatonia is a behavioral syndrome that leads to an inability to move, speak, and other strange behaviors. For instance, a person with catatonia may make loud exclamations for no apparent reason. A catatonic person can cause massive self-harm by refusing to eat and drink water. So, researchers suggest that Electroconvulsive therapy can be successfully used for catatonic patients when medications do not work.
Schizophrenia is a mental health disorder that causes hallucinations, delusions, disorganized speech, and abnormal behavior in affected individuals. In addition, it also causes disturbances in emotions observed through facial features and body language. If therapies such as cognitive-behavioral therapy or psychological treatment do not work, ECT proves useful to treat schizophrenia.
Complications associated with Electroconvulsive Therapy
As ECT involves the transfer of electric current from the source to the scalp, various complications occur due to it. Immediately after the application of electroconvulsive therapy, patients can experience mental confusion. This confusion can last from several minutes to hours to days. Generally, young adults show signs of mental confusion post ECT.
Loss of memory
Researchers suggest that many people face loss of memory post electroconvulsive therapy. Patients face a lot of trouble remembering events and activities before therapy and even months before therapy. However, memory loss problems improve within months post-treatment.
Our brain is responsible for controlling, monitoring, and regulating body movements and processes. So, after the administration of electric current, some people experience nausea, muscular pain, body ache, and pain in the jaw.
Changes in blood pressure, elevation in heart rate, and similar problems with heart occur post ECT. Anesthesia elevates the risk factors.
The procedure of Electroconvulsive Therapy
Hospital staff advises and instruct patients to undergo certain dietary restrictions before the procedure. These include restrictions on food products and consumption of only water before therapy. Then, at the time of therapy, the healthcare professionals inject anesthesia into the patients. Thereafter, the doctor checks the heart and lungs of the patients. After this, the healthcare provider inserts an intravenous line into the patient’s arm. Finally, the healthcare providers place electrode pads on the head.
What to expect after Electroconvulsive therapy?
As stated, electroconvulsive therapy is only helpful when other therapies prove ineffective and insufficient. ECT helps to improve the patient’s condition. Technically, a person observes improvement after six ECT treatments. This therapy helps in changing brain activity and induces the release of certain chemicals that help in altering and managing negative movements and behavior. Such chemical changes help decrease the symptoms of several mental health diseases. However, after ECT, a patient requires medications and psychotherapy (psychological counseling). It helps in managing psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions. In addition, ECT helps in controlling negative thoughts and emotions. It is also used to treat pregnant mothers to avoid the harmful effects of medication/ drugs on the fetus.
“Scientists had warned that the variants- and in particular B.1.1.7- might lead to 4th wave in the US and that the already strained health care system might buckle”
Spreading around the world since November 2019, coronavirus causes severe health and respiratory problems. However, the ever-changing and newly evolving strains of coronavirus make it more challenging to treat. Technically, viruses are nonliving organisms that replicate and grow in the host’s body. Viruses can evolve and transform to thrive in the environment. For instance, coronavirus changes to resist the treatment or survive in extreme environments. Aerosols refer to the minute droplets or particles occurring while sneezing or coughing. These particles are the main cause of SARS-CoV-2.
An infected person’s cough, sneeze, or breath is the cause of infection. Coronavirus affects the respiratory tract of people thereby causing breathing problems and dry cough. It can also cause inflation of the lungs making it difficult to breathe. In addition, it weakens the immunological system of the infected person.
The general signs and symptoms associated with the various variants of coronavirus include
- High fever and chills
- Severe headaches, muscle aches, and pains
- Dry cough
- Trouble in respiration and shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Feeling of pressure in the chest area or chest pain
- Extreme fatigue or tiredness
- Vomiting or nausea
- Skin discoloration
The Food and Drug Administration has authorized covid-19 vaccinations that help in reducing the severity of infection. In addition, they help in decreasing the risk of hospitalization and death.
Various Variants Of Coronavirus
First identified in India, it is one of the fastest spreading variants in the United States. It is highly contagious. It can cause serious problems in unvaccinated people such as illness, respiratory problems, and death. The primary symptoms associated with the Delta variant include chills, sore throat, headache, and runny nose. Along with vaccinations, wearing masks is one of the most essential preventive measures to avoid the spread of delta variants. In addition, it is essential to maintain public hygiene and practice social distancing. Monoclonal antibody treatments and Covid vaccinations are effective for fighting delta coronavirus variants. In this therapy, laboratory-prepared antibodies are made and given to the patient.
The Alpha coronavirus was first identified in the United Kingdom. It causes severe illness among the infected people. This strain of covid-19 spreads more quickly compared to the delta variant. High fever, severe headaches, loss of appetite, and body aches are the main symptoms associated with this variant. In addition, the Alpha variant leads to an elevated risk of hospitalization and death. So, according to the vaccine manufacturing companies, all the Vaccines produced are effective against Alpha variants.
This variant was first identified in South Africa. It has more than a 50% transmission rate compared to other Covid-19 variants. It decreases the efficacy of monoclonal antibody medications used for treating coronavirus.
The gamma variant of coronavirus was first identified in Japan and Brazil. It does not cause severe illness or death compared to other variants. Just like the beta variant, it also reduces the effectiveness of monoclonal antibody medications used for treating coronavirus.
Ensure taking necessary precautions
All the people in the world have been fighting against coronavirus for a long time. Therefore, always take necessary precautions. It is essential to regularly disinfect the hands with alcohol-based hand rub or hand sanitizers. Wear face masks to prevent infection. In addition, cover your nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing. So, the coronavirus leads to the weakening of the immunological system of the infected person. It is also advised to refrain from smoking as it harms the respiratory system.
If a person suspects having coronavirus, they must get tested immediately. Furthermore, avoid going to crowded or poorly ventilated places. Vaccines are the sword for fighting covid-19. The approved vaccines are safe and effective thereby helping in reducing the severity of infection and risk of death. Avoid miscommunication and misconceptions about vaccines. Only rely on official sources, pages, and news for vaccines updates. Moreover, it is advised that unvaccinated people and children follow strict preventive measures and hygiene precautions.
The newly developed covid vaccine helps in the prevention of disease and reducing the severity of infection. FDA-approved covid vaccines are safe, reliable, and authorized fighting mechanisms against coronavirus infection. A person needs immunization regardless of previous infection or strong immunological system. It is essential to forbid the spreading of common myths and rumors about covid vaccinations to promote their usage and acceptance. That is why it is essential to debunk the myths about covid vaccinations. So, let us take a better understanding of various myths related to recently developed covid vaccines.
Myth- Covid vaccines alter the DNA structure of the person.
Covid vaccine doses contain a peculiar messenger RNA that helps the body cells to produce proteins. The mutant coronavirus contains such proteins. Therefore, our body produces antibodies as soon as our immune system recognizes such spike proteins. This helps the immunological system of our body to produce a response against the coronavirus. Thereafter, the injected messenger RNA leaves the body. So, there is no alteration of DNA due to covid vaccinations.
Myth- Covid vaccines contain microchips that track your location and movement.
Covid vaccinations do not contain any microchip or tracking device. Many unreliable sources spread misleading information about the presence of Microchips in the Vaccination doses. That is why the World Health Organization advises trusting reliable organizations and firms for facts. In addition, vaccinations cannot track your movement or location. Such false claims spread just like the virus on social media platforms. If you find any of such information, always ensure to check it with reliable authorities and websites handled by the government.
Myth- Covid vaccinations make you magnetic.
Covid vaccines are developed with the sole purpose to reduce the severity of infection. They do not make a person magnetic. In addition, there is no ingredient in the covid vaccine that can produce a magnetic effect at the site of Vaccination. Therefore, the body does not generate electromagnetic field in post-immunization.
Myth- Covid vaccinations cause coronavirus infection.
The vaccinations do not contain dead or weakened coronavirus. Rather, they contain mRNA helping in the production of a spike protein required by the body to produce antibodies. So, covid vaccines do not cause coronavirus infection. Rather the ingredients in it help in the formation of antibodies against coronavirus. If you have taken an authorized and FDA-approved vaccine, you will not test positive on viral tests. However, there is a possibility that your body shows an immunological response after the injection. This can cause you to test positive on certain antibody tests.
Myth- After taking covid vaccinations, you are not required to wear masks or use hand sanitizers anymore.
Millions of rumors say that you do not need to cover your mouth and follow proper sanitization measures after taking covid vaccines. This is incorrect. Even after taking a vaccination shot, you should follow the necessary prevention measures. A vaccine shot helps in reducing the severity of the infection and prevents severe illness and death. However, it does not guarantee the prevention of disease.
Myth- Covid vaccinations cause problems with pregnancy.
Multiple questions remain unanswered about the correlation between pregnancy and covid vaccinations. As per the reports of Centers of Disease Control And Prevention, covid vaccines do not cause any male or female infertility. In addition, vaccines do not cause issues with a person trying to get pregnant.
Separate myths from the truth
If you suspect having a covid infection, you should get tested and take the necessary steps. 24/7 Labs help in the testing of covid-19. Vaccination or immunization helps in training your immune system to generate antibodies that are necessary to fight against infectious disease. The FDA-authorized vaccines are safe as all the clinical trials have been carried out. That is why all people need to get vaccinated to reduce the spreading of coronavirus. According to Pfizer, you are considered as a fully vaccinated person two weeks after the completion of the second dose. Vaccinations work on the principle of memory. In addition, covid vaccines do not contain dead or weakened coronavirus. Rather, they with the help of the messenger RNA and spike proteins. So, you do not get any coronavirus infection from vaccines. You should rely on official sources of information to gain a better understanding of covid vaccinations.
There are two top concerns for most of us that are weight loss and weight maintenance, but there are so many rumors and fads out there that it is hard to keep track of what works. All of us want to be fit and to stay healthy however, in our eat-and-run daily lives, staying healthy is a tough process, and losing weight is even tougher. Not any diet suits everyone, each person has different eating habits and different appetites. Every person has their logic and advice to give that might be a wrong choice and can affect your health. Thus, it is good to consult a dietician and nutritionist that have great knowledge and can suggest you the best diet plan according to your body BMI.
Steps to fitness
You can lose weight with a basic diet plan and some exercise. While some people are interested in finding a magic pill that will cause them to lose weight quickly and effectively, the truth is that losing weight takes hard work and perseverance. Here are some effective tips that may help you in losing weight-
- Do not skip breakfast- Skipping your breakfast is the major effect of not losing weight. By skipping your breakfast you could miss out on some nutrients that are essential for your body and end up snacking more because you will feel hungry.
- Add protein to your diet- When you are worried about weight loss, protein is the king of nutrients. While digesting and metabolizing the protein you eat, your body burns calories therefore, a high protein diet can boost up your metabolism by up to 80-100 calories per day. It can also make you feel full and reduce your appetite. Even, eating high protein breakfast can have powerful effects.
- Avoid processed food- Processed food usually contains high added sugars, added fats, and calories. Also, processed food makes you eat as much as possible. They cause more addictive-like eating than processed food.
- Be more active- Being active is a successful key for losing weight and keeping it off. While exercise helps in burning the calories that you cannot lose through the only diet. In addition, exercise provides a lot of health benefits.
- Keep stock of healthy food and snacks- The normal food that you keep at home greatly affects your weight and eating pattern. By always having healthy food you can reduce the chances of getting unhealthy of your family members too. Many healthy and natural snacks can easily be prepared and you can take them with you on the go.
- Drink enough water- You may have listened many times that drinking water can help you in losing weight. It is true. When you drink 1.5 liters of water, it may increase the burning percentage of calories by 24-30% for an hour afterward. Drinking water before meals may also help in reducing calorie intake.
Diet plan for losing weight
- Each fruit as much as possible like berries, watermelons, and cantaloupes is recommended.
- Avoid banana for Day 1.
- Drink water in a proper amount.
- Take only vegetables.
- Use only olive oil for cooking.
- Consume fruits and vegetables
- Avoid bananas and potatoes
- Have 8 bananas and 4 glasses of milk. Banana helps to replenish energy levels. Avoid adding sugar and sweeteners to milk.
- Consume a bowl of vegetable soup.
- Have enough water for the whole day.
- Take brown rice
- Consume 6 large tomatoes
- If you are a non-vegetarian you can consume chicken breast or fish.
- Keep yourself hydrated the whole day. You can also take fruit juices but avoid sugar.
- Consume raw or sautéed vegetables. Avoid potatoes.
- Keep yourself hydrated the whole day. You can also take fruit juices but avoid sugar.
- Consume brown rice
- Consume raw or sautéed vegetables
- Have 4 glasses of fruit juice Walk your way slim
Walk your way slim
By this article I think, you have got the message. Losing weight is typical for everyone. The importance of your food and the part that food plays in your daily life is also important to yourself and your own body. You have to put the right food in the right place in your life and it will be much more controllable than it is now. So sustaining a healthy weight involves a balanced and healthful diet. Exercise is one of the best things to reduce weight but, a combination of diet and exercise is required for long-term weight loss programs.
BMI stands for Body Mass Index, which is the ratio of an individual’s weight (in kg) to the square of their height (in m). BMI categorizes weight and tracks potential weight gains and losses that may be directly related to health-related problems. The Body Mass Index ranges from near 18 to above 30, where less than 18 means underweight while beyond 30 signifies obesity. The usual BMI score that is free of any physical inaccuracies lies between 18.5 to 25. BMI is usually used by doctors and medical professionals to examine the body for any obesity risks. These troubles are underlying and might not surface till they become significantly prominent. For the same reason, the BMI comes in handy. This mathematical aid helps people and doctors to assess body fitness and trace any problems about your body weight.
Pros of Body Mass Index
No prior training
Even a 6th grader would be able to accurately find your Body Mass Index. This is because the calculation is simple, which uses a simple mathematical ratio. Even the conclusions are easy to chart. Look up your BMI score against the standard BMI sheet and, you can categorize yourself as underweight, normal, slightly overweight, or obese. Your accurate weight and height are all you need to know for your accurate BMI reading.
Prediction of cardiac attack
A high BMI represents obesity. This usually means that the fat accumulation of the body causes significant hindrance and disturbance. Cardiac arrests are common if the fat content of the body is high. Body Mass Index is an accurate index for rating the chances of a cardiac arrest. At various places, a high BMI can also help you secure profitable health insurance.
Although the primary use of BMI is to conclude obesity, it is used in statistical analysis all across the world. Just like diabetes, AIDS, and other illnesses, obesity is a silent killer. It hampers the growth and activity of the body from within and may lead to even worst problems like strokes and high blood pressure. Scientists and researchers use the BMIs of several people from various places to conclude the obesity percentage of any geographical location. This is often used to track breakouts and the pertinent physical danger it poses to people all over. It helps to find out the die patterns that cause obesity in a large number of people.
Cons of Body Mass Index
Although BMI is a smart mathematical result, it is slightly inaccurate when certain parameters kick in. For instance, your muscle percentage alters your BMI. Older people do have more fat content in their bodies as compared to younger people. If your height and weight are proportionally more, your BMI would increase, this does not always mean that you are obese. Due to these small inconsistencies that affect the inaccuracy of the BMI, it is often not the primary concern of medical professionals.
The difference in fat levels
BMI cannot trace the difference between the two types of fat and how they independently affect the body. Subcutaneous fat is under the skin, and it mostly affects your superficial body appearance. It is visceral fat that settles deep in your body, around your abdominal region, around the heart and poses a higher danger to your body. Over time, it is the accumulation of visceral fat that causes obesity.
Muscle and fat
BMI reading does not consider the muscle content in your body. For instance, a muscular athlete would have a higher muscle content, but the BMI would consider at as extra fat. This does not mean the athlete is obese or beyond normal and healthy limits. Due to the same reason, a highly muscular athlete with an above-average height would end up falling under the obese category just like a short athlete who is slightly less muscular.
BMI and your health
People have conflicting views on the advantages and disadvantages of BMI. However, it is still vital to measure your BMI regularly. It is not only a precaution to see if your body is unhealthy but also is a way to help you follow a healthy diet. If you are not in agreement with your BMI, you can look into your eating habits, reaffirm your exercise schedule and work towards making your Body Mass Index the way you want. It develops through habits and comes to stay from the ones you inculcate. The first step when you visit a dietician is to calculate your BMI. It is the standard way of going about your body weight to height ratio and is still widely used, at least for the initial diagnosis.
Jaundice is a medical condition where the color of your skin and the white of your eyes turn yellow. A high level of bilirubin in your system forms jaundice. Bilirubin is a yellow-orange bile pigment. Accordingly, the breakdown of red blood cells forms bilirubin in your body. On the contrary, jaundice is itself not a risk to your health, but it can cause several underlying illnesses. Bilirubin remains in the bloodstream after the blood removes the iron. If there is too much bilirubin it leaks into the surrounding tissues. That is called hyperbilirubinemia. Accordingly, it causes a yellow color in the eyes and skin of the affected person.
What causes jaundice
- The breakdown of red blood cells can increase by various conditions. This results in making more bilirubin in the blood system. Meanwhile, the liver cells fail to keep the process of that extra bilirubin. In some conditions the liver cells are not able to take in the bilirubin well, bilirubin builds up in the blood system.
- The liver cells are damaged sometimes. In this scenario, the cells fail to work well.
- Sometimes liver cells work in a reduced number which builds extra bilirubin.
- When large quantities of red blood cells break down, it produces more bilirubin.
With these problems in the liver cells, bilirubin can cause jaundice.
Types of Jaundice
There are three types of jaundice-
Conditions that cause jaundice
- Liver damage causes jaundice. Meanwhile, viral Hepatitis causes liver damage. Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C are the reason for liver damage that causes jaundice. For instance, when a person consumes food or water contaminated by another person with Hepatitis A, it can be transmitted to the other person.
- Contact with infectious body fluid can cause Hepatitis B. For example, sexually involving with the infected person.
- Research states that 2.7 to 3.9 million people in the USA are having the infection of Hepatitis C. Consequently, direct contact with the infected person can cause Hepatitis C.
- Hepatitis E: Hepatitis E virus causes Hepatitis E. It is a serious acute liver disease.
- Alcoholic Hepatitis: If a person consumes so much alcohol it can lead to jaundice.
- Some medicines can be dangerous to the liver as well. Such as statins.
- Liver cancer
- Yellow fever
- Weil’s fever
Common signs and symptoms of jaundice
- Yellow skin
- Dark-colored urine
- Clay-colored stool
- Itching of the skin
These are the most common symptoms of jaundice. However, this may result in additional signs and symptoms –
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling of the leg
Newborn jaundice: Research says that around 60% of newborns in the USA experience jaunce. Newborn jaundice is one of the most common conditions of jaundice. This type of jaundice is called infant jaundice. A newborn baby’s liver is not mature enough to fight the bilirubin in the blood cells. In addition, the signs of infant jaundice start showing within 72 hours of birth.
The treatment depends on the underlying cause of jaundice. As the main cause of jaundice is the increase of bilirubin in the blood, the doctors examine the history of the patient to confirm bilirubin levels. The patient also may need to go through some blood tests.
- Bilirubin Tests
- Full blood count (FBC) or Complete blood count (CBC)
- Hepatitis A, B, and C tests
- MRI, CT, and Ultrasound scans to examine the structure of the liver
- Also, a liver biopsy checks for cancer, cirrhosis, fatty liver if needed.
- In Anemia-induced jaundice, the doctor may prescribe the patient to take an iron supplement or iron-rich foods to boost the iron in the blood.
- As a result of obstruction-induced jaundice, the doctors go through surgery to remove the obstruction.
- Also, antiviral or steroid medications are required in Hepatitis-induced jaundice.
Food routine jaundice patient should follow
- Water- If a person is suffering from jaundice, he/she should consume at least eight glasses of water a day. So, water helps your liver in filtering and flush out toxins
- Fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables contain high antioxidants that help limit liver damage. Fruits and vegetables you can include in your routine -lemons, limes, grapefruits, papaya, melons, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, olives, carrots, beets, broccoli, ginger, garlic.
- Herbal tea and coffee: Coffee and herbal tea also contain a high amount of antioxidants.
- Nuts: Nuts contain high doses of antioxidants, vitamin E, and phenolic acid. As a result, it can be beneficial to liver function.
Foods to avoid
- Alcohol: Patients with jaundice or any other liver condition should avoid alcohol completely. It is toxic to our liver.
- Trans fats: So, some dairy products and fried, oily, fast foods contain a high level of trans fat. Studies state that people who consume a large amount of trans fat are most likely to undergo liver changes.
- Rich meats
Liver damage is the cause of jaundice. So, it is necessary to take care of our food habits and follow a balanced diet. Avoid consuming more alcohol which may damage your liver and along with it add fruits and vegetables to your list. Middle-aged women and men, as well as newborns, are most likely to be affected by jaundice. Newborn jaundice is the most common condition in the USA. Meanwhile, jaundice does not require treatment in adults. However, sometimes one may follow some medical treatment. Therefore, people who consume excessive alcohol and have hepatitis are at risk for jaundice. So, liver damage causes jaundice. In addition to that, high consumption of alcohol leads to liver damage. However, in most cases, jaundice in adults is not a matter of risk. Therefore, a healthy diet and exercise help your liver function in a better way.
A stroke is the result of a ruptured or destroyed blood vessel carrying blood to the brain. Therefore, there is a loss of blood flow in certain parts of the brain. Hence, brain cells did not get much oxygen and nutrients they need and the brain cells start to die within a few minutes. It can cause severe damage, long-term disability, or even leads to death. It is very severe damage and needs immediate medical treatment. Therefore, early treatment can save you from brain damage and other complications. It can also increase the chances of rehabilitation and recovery. According to a study by the CDC, stroke is the fifth leading cause of death in the United States.
Types of Stroke
There are two types of stroke-
- Ischemic stroke– Ischemic stroke is due to a blood clot that blocks a blood vessel in the brain. It is a common stroke. 80% of strokes are ischemic.
- Hemorrhagic Stroke– Hemorrhagic stroke is the result of a ruptured or destroyed blood vessel.
Symptoms of stroke
If someone is having a stroke, you should pay attention to the time symptoms began. Some common signs and symptoms of a stroke are-
- Trouble in speaking and understanding others- You may experience slurring words, confusion all the time, or may feel difficulty in the understanding speech of others.
- Paralysis- You may feel paralysis or weakness in your face, arm, or leg. This may affect the half side of your body. In this condition, what you can do is try to raise both your arms at the same time, if one of your arms falls, you may be having a stroke.
- A problem in one or both eyes- Maybe suddenly your vision will be blurry or blackened in one or both eyes. Also, you may see double.
- Headache- You may feel a sudden headache with vomiting, dizziness, or altered consciousness. They all are indications that you are having a stroke.
- Trouble in walking- You may lose your balance and may feel a loss of coordination. You may also feel Stumble and sudden dizziness. Due to this, you are unable to walk properly.
Some common symptoms of stroke in women-
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breathing
- Lack of responsiveness
- Behavioral changes
Treatment of stroke depends on the type of stroke, whether you are having an ischemic stroke or hemorrhagic stroke.
Doctors quickly restore blood flow to your brain. Doctors can do this by several methods-
- Emergency IV Medication- In this therapy drugs are used to break up a clot and have to be given within 4.5 hours from when symptoms started. In addition, it is called the gold standard treatment for ischemic stroke. This drug dissolves the blood clot and restores blood flow in the brain.
- Emergency Endovascular procedures- In this procedure ischemic stroke inside the blocked blood vessels is treated directly. It reduces long-term disability after the stroke and it has been shown to significantly improve outcomes.
- Direct delivery of medicines into the brain
- removing the clot with a stent retriever
Treatment mostly focuses on controlling the bleeding and reducing the brain pressure caused due to excess fluid. Treatment options are-
- Emergency measures- Your doctor may give you some drugs to lower the pressure in your brain, lower your blood pressure, and prevent seizures. If you are taking blood-thinning medications to prevent blood clots then, your doctor may prescribe you some drugs to counteract the blood thinners’ effect.
- Surgery- Your doctor may perform the surgery to remove the surgery and relieve the pressure on your brain if the area of bleeding is large. Surgery may also help in repairing blood vessel problems associated with hemorrhagic stroke. Your doctor may also recommend one of these procedures after having a stroke or any other problem in the blood vessel that can cause a hemorrhagic stroke.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery- It is an invasive treatment used to repair blood vessels malformations using multiple beams of highly focused radiation.
To sum up, a stroke is a medical emergency. It is a common complication that causes psychiatric disturbance. You should act fast if you or someone in your family is having any symptom of stroke. Stroke survivors and carers experience complex challenges in managing medications early after stroke. So, patients need support who are living alone and are on multiple medications. We can explain the deficits of a stroke by the circulation of the brain, area of the brain, or even both. Also, rapid assessment is rapid and critical. Stroke can be life-threatening and is best as treated as soon as possible.